Saturday, September 26, 2009

Quote of the Week - Fr. Stephen Freeman

"I have suggested what I have about the "outcomes of history" (actually citing a protestant theologian - Stanley Hauerwas) because, in agreement with him, I recognize that God has already settled the outcome of history in His Pascha. I do not have to make Pascha happen. It has already happened and is being made manifest among us in those who will live in accordance with God's will.

There are things which all of us should do in obedience to God's commandments. The Orthodox teach this as clearly as anyone. However, it is another leap to project such obedient actions forward in an intellectual scheme that see them as "changing the world." It is these intellectualized schemes that I am critiquing as idealistic substitutions for the Gospel. They have, at their worst, produced some of the greatest suffering the world has ever seen."
--Fr. Stephen Freeman (His comment was posted here.)

No comments: