Thursday, April 3, 2008

Wal-Mart Criticises Failure of Business Leaders

The chief executive of Wal-Mart has criticised US business for not taking a lead in the debate on the future of US healthcare ahead of the presidential elections in November. Lee Scott said in a Financial Times interview that he was “not particularly encouraged” by the public debate on the issues. “I think business has been absent in this debate on healthcare. I’m not sure why,” he said. “I think government is going to be engaged after this election regardless of who wins, and I think business should be more involved in the discussion. I think it has long-term ramifications for our global competitiveness.”

Mr Scott said Wal-Mart, which has more than 1.3m US employees, had not taken “a firm stand” on what a national healthcare system might look like.

Read it all.

No comments: