Sunday, November 16, 2014

The Moral Code of Ani

Papyrus of Ani

Worded negatively, like the Ten Commandments, this code dates to about 2500 B.C. It has 42 confessions. The word Ani refers to the Anu/Ainu who were priests at the most prestigious shrines on the Nile. The root -An- appears in variants such as Anoch/Enoch; Anakim; Ana; Annas; Ananus; Ananias and Hannah. The three Anakim clans were named for the three highest ranked sons of Anak whose names were Sheshai (Shasu), Ahiman and Talmai (Josh.15:14).The Shasu are referred to in ancient tests as the "Shasu of YHWH." Two hieroglyphic references dating to the New Kingdom (1550-1069 BC) refer to “the land of the Shasu of YHWH.” These are the oldest references to YHWH outside the Bible. These inscriptions are found on the Nubian temples of Soleb and Amara West.

Many High Priests were Anu/Ainu. The High Priest Ananus was appointed by Herod the Great. Another Ananus served as the High Priest of Edom/Idumea from 6-15 AD. Edom was home of some of the greatest Horite rulers, and all of Abraham's territory was in the region of Edom. Edom was known as one of the ancient seats of wisdom. The Ten Commandments appears to have precedent in the Moral Code of the Anu/Ainu.

I have not committed sin.
I have not committed robbery with violence.
I have not stolen.
I have not slain men and women.
I have not stolen grain.
I have not purloined offerings.
I have not stolen the property of the gods.
I have not uttered lies.
I have not carried away food.
I have not uttered curses.
I have not committed adultery, I have not lain with men.
I have made none to weep.
I have not eaten the heart.
I have not attacked any man.
I am not a man of deceit.
I have not stolen cultivated land.
I have not been an eavesdropper.
I have slandered [no man].
I have not been angry without just cause.
I have not debauched the wife of any man.
I have not debauched the wife of [any] man.
I have not polluted myself.
I have terrorized none.
I have not transgressed [the Law].
I have not been wroth.
I have not shut my ears to the words of truth.
I have not blasphemed.
I am not a man of violence.
I am not a stirrer up of strife (disturber of the peace).
I have not acted (or judged) with undue haste.
I have not pried into matters.
I have not multiplied my words in speaking.
I have wronged none, I have done no evil.
I have not worked witchcraft against the King (or blasphemed against the King).
I have never stopped [the flow of] water.
I have never raised my voice (spoken arrogantly, or in anger).
I have not cursed God.
I have not acted with evil rage.
I have not stolen the bread of the gods.
I have not carried away the khenfu cakes from the spirits of the dead.
I have not snatched the bread of the child, nor treated with contempt the god of my city.
I have not slain the cattle belonging to the god.

No comments: