Monday, July 18, 2011

Laura Fotusky Stands on an Older Law

ALBANY, New York, July 13, 2011 (LifeSiteNews.com) – Reacting to the news that the first New York State town clerk has resigned rather than sign her name on a same-sex “marriage” license, Gov. Andrew Cuomo insisted Tuesday that “the law is the law.”

“When you enforce the laws of the state, you don’t get to pick and choose which laws,” he said, according to the NY Daily News. “You don’t get to say, ‘I like this law and I’ll enforce this law, or I don’t like this law and I won’t enforce this law’ - you can’t do that.”

“So if you can’t enforce the law, then you shouldn’t be in that position,” he added.

Laura Fotusky, a clerk in the town of Barker, announced her resignation Monday on the website of New Yorkers for Constitutional Freedoms. “I cannot put my signature on something that is against God,” she wrote in her resignation letter. “The Bible clearly teaches that God created marriage between male and female as a divine gift that preserves families and cultures.”

“I would be compromising my moral conscience if I participated in the licensing procedure,” she added.

Read it all here
 

1 comment:

George Patsourakos said...

Laura Fotusky resigned her position as a town clerk in the state of New York because she believes that God's law of marriage should transcend New York state's recent law that allows gay marriages. She could not -- in good conscience -- allow herself to sign marriage certificates that are against God.

I'm sure that Laura Fotusky will find another position -- one that will not require her to perform tasks that are contrary to her religious beliefs.