Friday, July 17, 2009

Quote to Remember - Fr. Dan Martins

Addressing the Presiding Bishop of the Episcopal Church after it approved a resolution to develop same-sex ceremonies in the Episcopal Church, Fr. Dan Martins (you go, guy!) said:

"Madam President, if I had a dollar for every person who has come up to me during this convention and said something like, "I don't usually agree with you, but I'm sure glad you're here; we need your voice," I could finance a day at Disneyland. So...you want my voice? Here's my voice: If there was any ambiguity in D025--and I have contended that there is, at some cost to my credibility--then there is absolutely none in this resolution (C056). When we pass it, we will in that moment be undoing every shred of work that this church has done over the last four years in response to the Windsor Report. Time does not permit me to enumerate all the work that will be nullified by this action. We are utterly rejecting Windsor and the hope for life in communion that it represents. On this day my church is covering itself with shame, and I am profoundly sorrowful. What you are about to do, do quickly." ---- Fr. Dan Martins, Northern Indiana

Resolution C056 directs the creation of liturgies for same-sex blessings to be reported back to the next General Convention in 2012. The resolution passed the committee by 6-0 among bishops and 26-1 by deputies. The committees have joint membership of bishops and deputies, but then each house must vote separately. You can read the full text of the resolution HERE.

No comments: